Everyone wants to have a big house with all possible luxurious amenities. To get all these luxuries and a comfortable living, home improvement needs to be done. Home improvement is a widely practiced concept all over the globe. As you can guess by the name, it relates to improving the look and feel of the property. And this includes renovations and remodeling the house. People may think of getting their property renovated and modified for several different reasons. Let us find out why.
Need for Home Improvement
A majority of people consider home improvement options to add a new room to their existing house, so as to increase the living space. Others think of home improvement for increasing the value of their home by changing or painting the interiors and exteriors, and making modifications to the patio and lawn. The remodeling might be necessary as there may be some maintenance, replacement, and repair work to be done on the structure. Safety is also a major concern today, which is why people opt for home improvement. Adding advanced devices and settings to the home is done to increase the quality of living.
About Home Improvement
Typically, the home improvement concept includes all major modifications done to the house structure. This may include adding a new small room to the back of the house, using the basement to make a new room, or adding rooms on top of the existing structure. One of the major parts of home improvement includes installing wooden panels, flooring, ceiling, cabinets, sliding glass doors and windows, patio and patio furniture, etc. It also comprises upgrading air conditioning, heating systems, home lighting, electrical, and water systems of the house. Similarly, it consists of a lot many improvements to the living area.
Home Improvement Costs
Since home improvement is a wide concept and covers a wide range of options, the costs are nearly impossible to estimate. In the USA and Canada, the median cost of home improvement is $3000 and $11,000 – $15,000 respectively. Just to save on the costs, most people choose to take up small projects themselves. However, big projects necessarily require more manpower, skills, proficiency, and advanced tools. The cost varies largely from state to state and even country wise, but also depends on many other factors. For example, room addition costs will depend on the existing home structure and design and what kind of space you are planning to add. Similarly, Home addition costs will depend on the kind of addition you are making; of a single room of a complete new storey. Following are just a few home improvement tips that can be considered in a simple project.
Home Improvement Ideas
A not so big home improvement would be to get a canopy bed installed in the bedroom, to enjoy the elegance of a royal bed. Another good project would be to make a pond in the garden. This would substantially contribute to the beauty of the home as well as increase its value significantly. Also, if the budget permits, you can make lawns in the garden with sprinkler systems. Thinking of the budget, you can even get a small swimming pool made in your garden area. If there is a good amount of space in the kitchen, you can even consider installing a kitchen island. If it is about saving energy, you have the choice of installing solar devices on the roof top for the same. Those concerned with home safety can consider getting safety systems incorporated such as burglar alarm systems, fire sprinkler systems, and other security equipment.
It is best to do them before it goes on the market. Nothing will turn off a buyer more than showing up at your house while there is a plumbing or electrical van in the driveway, or roofers peeling off shingles. You never want to show a defect to a buyer and explain that you will fix it. Fix it first and then it’s not an issue.
- Curb appeal is of foremost importance as it is the first thing that buyers see. Make sure that the outside of the house is clean, appealing and tidy. Get rid of all your junk and broken patio furniture, and even if it’s garbage day don’t leave the trash waiting on the sidewalk.
- Make sure that any pools or spas are sparkling clean and thoroughly vacuumed, and that your lawn and garden is in meticulous condition.
- Pay particular attention to the front door. Polish the hardware and repaint it if necessary. Ensure that the mechanisms move smoothly and accurately, or leave a buyer with a horrible first impression.
- If you have plaques or shingles which are personalized with your family’s name, remove them. Buyers want to see themselves in the house, not you.
- The Chinese art of Feng Shui teaches that clutter must be eliminated, and the best thing you can do is to clear away all of your knicknacks and junk to leave the buyer looking at spaces that are clean and wide open as possible.
- Making your house anonymous is actually the best policy: neutral colors along with a style that blends into the neighbourhood is preferable to quirky, individualistic features which will turn most buyers off.
- Depersonalize your home and therefore see it as an asset which has a value that needs to be maximized. Keep your emotions and memories at bay or they will cloud your judgment.
Mostly people undertake the project of home improvement for increasing the value of their home. By incorporating additional features to your home, beautifying your landscape or patio, or repainting the house can greatly increase its value greatly. However, many people also consider home improvement ideas related to repairs or remodeling if their home hasn’t gone through renovations for years, or if people have moved into an old house. Given below, are the various tips for redecorating your home right from decorating the bathroom to the living rooms, and other important repair and remodeling tips.